Discerning Truth from Error
Let us review the Principles of Discovery covered so far. They are:
(1) Take the things you know (for reasonable surety) to be true and use them as a foundation or stepping stones for testing additional truths.
(2) Be willing to let these foundation beliefs be either altered or dropped as some of them are replaced by higher vision.
(3) The teaching should be in harmony with common sense
(4) It should increase the power of Decision and free will.
(5) It should bring you to a new level of awareness and usefulness.
(6) Seek out true sources of knowledge, study and incorporate them into your life. Knowledge dispels error and illusion.
(7) Gather all the reliable information you can about a subject of interest and try and see the principles suggested by the data. Then draw conclusions and run the conclusions by your soul and see if you receive a response.
(8) Follow all the aspects of the Will of God that is within your perception and your sensitivity to the truth will increase.
(9) The Process of Elimination. Eliminate those things that are definitely not true and contemplate on that which remains.
(10) Effective Communication
(A) Communication through perception of the outside world.
(B) Person to person communication.
(C) Communication through the soul.
(11) Truth is in harmony with spiritual principles; therefore we discover that which is true through the application of those principles.
(12) The principle of planting and harvesting.
(13) “The Law of Correspondences.” The principle behind it is “as above so below,” and visa versa.
(14) Take that belief which is embraced by the world and look in the opposite direction. In this opposite direction much truth lies hidden.
In relation to our recent discussions on the soul I have been contemplating the name of the current principle revealed and have decided on:
(15) Discernment. In particular the disciple should seek the power to discern beyond physical seeing so he can see the difference in effects from the astral/emotional world and the world of the soul.
The seeker can read all the books in the world, attend all retreats, sit at the feet of many gurus and teachers, but until he develops the ability to discern between emotion and spirit, truth and error the good and the bad he will be at a standstill in his progression.
Now some may stop in their tracks here and say there is no good and evil – that’s it is just a point of view, but remember the definition of good and evil as given by the Brotherhood.
Good is that teaching of philosophy which when applied takes us forward in our progression upon the Path and evil is that which when applied moves us in retrogression. Unfortunately, because of lack of power to discern many people call good, evil and evil, good just as predicted by Isaiah.
“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20
David wrote in a similar vein:
“The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.” Psalms 14:2-3
Thus we see that in ancient times the teachers were frustrated that the people had such little power to discern that good and evil became confusing to the extent that the common people called that which was evil, good and good, evil. The confusion was so great that often not one of them was accomplishing any good.
Now we have been talking about principles that assist in the discovery of truth, but if we were to group principles that lead the masses to error, the herd mentality would have to be at the top of the list. The spiritual group produces a higher life, but the herd instinct causes many to give up their power of thought and identify with a lower elemental life form that needs to be dominated by our power of decision.
This herd instinct causes people to join a destructive mob, to support strange religious doctrines, or to follow a political view without thinking about the reason why.
So let us look out upon the world today, exercise discernment and ask.
What are some things commonly believed to be good that are really leading to retrogression and others believed to be evil that may in truth lead to progression?
If I remember correctly we covered this idea somewhat in connection with another subject, but it is good to review again since it is an important one.
Maya, glamour and illusion fog the eyes of many so it becomes well neigh impossible to see what is good. Only when these “three temptations” are overcome can one have sufficient soul contact so the path of progress becomes clearly visible. The great part is that when two reach this point of vision they can always come to unity in agreement of basic principles.
A good portion of the problem in seeing the good lies in the past. In the journey of mankind from the distant past to the present there have been many things gathered that are tried and true and still good and useful. These should not be discarded, but used to enhance the present and for guideposts for the future. On the other hand, we have made many mistakes in the past. These mistaken ideas should not be taken with us, but should be dropped or altered into more useful format. In addition to this there are ideas and concepts that worked for our good in the past but are no longer usable due to the changing of the times. Such concepts should also be modified or dropped to make way for the new.
So here is where the problem of good and evil come in to play. The average seeker is reluctant to use his power of discernment or judgment and wants to proceed on the path of least resistance and have all values be black and white so no thought is necessary. This is the lazy man’s no way to enlightenment.
The black and white thinking of the masses about the past is in one of two categories:
(1) The person has a large investment in the ideas and procedures of the past, therefore all those things that worked to bring him where he is now is good and should be kept at all costs. To give up the ideas from the past is like betraying the gifts of God for this individual.
(2) The past represents the ideas and mistakes of a passing generation who made too many errors and never had it together. We should drop the ideas from the past and start anew on every turn and build a better happier world.
People as a whole gravitate to extremist sides of the fence and unfortunately too many people gravitate to one of these two extreme views because only one decision is necessary. The one decision is to keep the past or to throw out the past. Anything in between requires thought and contemplation as well as numerous decisions through discernment and requires too much effort for the average person.
A reader commented that free love and our high divorce rate is seen to be evil, but may in reality be good.
In the past we were taught that sex was only to be had within the bonds of matrimony. Today one camp adheres fiercely to this idea and the other camp totally rejects it. Is one side right or are they both wrong because of total acceptance or rejection of the past?
In the past we are told that divorce is wrong and should be avoided at all costs except in extreme circumstances – that divorce always ends with negative results.
Today one extreme tries to hold on to this idea whereas the other rejects it telling us we should be able to move out of a marriage relationship whenever we feel like it. Again is one side right or are they both wrong because of total acceptance or rejection of the past?
What type of conclusion in these two areas is the disciple likely to come to through the use of discernment?
The Big Zap
I thought I would give the true translation to a recent post.
Greetings from ZOR commander of Galactic Region 666
No Translation necessary. I was just clearing my throat.
We like your earth women. How much for three of them?
We love your women so much that we sent messages of love though millions of your computers.
Instead of appreciating it you called it a virus and attempted to eliminate it.
This makes us very angry and we have decided to take revenge.
We know how much all of you enjoy the Big Zap Hamburgers so we are going to take them away from you forever.
We will alter reality so the Big Zap will no longer be big and juicy, but will taste like cat food and cardboard.
The name will change to Big Mac
You will eat this mindlessly and not even remember that the Big Zap ever existed.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
May 10, 2000
Copyright by J J Dewey
JJ’s Amazon page HERE
Gather with JJ on Facebook HERE